Sunday, July 18, 2010

When the Bike Gods Are Not Amused

Did I miss a sacrificial ceremony somewhere? Did I accidentally throw away an old inter-tube instead of recycling it? Have I forgotten to thank my bike for its service to it's humble owner?

I can not figure out how I angered the Bike Gods.

Here's what happened: I wanted to ride with the local bicycle club on their usual Sunday evening jaunt around town. Twenty miles, little traffic. Simple enough.

I'm rushing to get myself together to drive to the launching site. Yes, I would have preferred to ride my bike there, but it is 13 miles away, which would have been a total of almost 50 miles riding with the ride itself. Not up to that distance yet.

In summary, these all really happened, really: (1) I ripped a large hole in my biking shorts as I was pulling them up; (2) I ripped a small spot in my shirt as I was twisting it around my head, to get it on the right way; (2) it took me 30 minutes to get my bike ready because I kept forgetting stuff in the house, after I locked the door. Stuff like my helmet. My light. My water bottle. Then my eye shades.

I arrive at the location after (3) hitting every single possible red light; (4) I'm driving up about 100 yards away -- the group is heading out; I'm 5 min. too late; I decide to ride around the lakes, not waste the trip; (5) my computer magnet falls off; the threads have mysteriously stripped themselves, I can't use it; (6) I think, I'll check my cadence - cool, I never do that; the cadence magnet falls off, it's little plastic holder breaks into 15 minute little pieces when I laughingly try to fix it.

I have a decent ride -- yes -- head back home, and notice I have grease all over my (white) riding shirt.

Maybe the Bike Gods are just irritated about something. When they really get mad, I hear that most horrid of all sounds: wiiiisssshhhh. Another flat.

NOT A TOTAL WASTE OF WEEKEND.

I was able to fit some old fenders onto my bike, since it's been raining every day for 4 years now. Here are some pictures of my bike's new duds.

 

All decked out for a day on the town.

 

Nothing to attach a standard rack to, so this has to do.

 

Big mud flaps keep the daily commuter happy and dry; bike, too.

 

Posted via email from Bike Like Me

No comments:

Post a Comment